Monday, August 23, 2010

Wow... just... Wow.

I have to say... My college experience thus far? UH-MAZING. I mean, I didn't think I'd get into it so early so soon. But I definitely love the "Cornell family" that's been forming at this point. I can't even begin to list the crazy things that I've done since I've been here. And I thought I was being bad right before I left... ;)

But to summarize a few of the *slightly* illegal things I've done all summer (which I failed to do in my last post since I was lazy) was drink roughly two times, smoke four times, have some form of sexual relations three times, drive around late at night 128392839018432893209329032890382382391 times, and get caught doing one of these acts by my parents. For the most part, all of these things happened towards the end of summer. I don't particularly know why, nor do I recommend it, but I had a very... apathetic approach to the end of summer. I figured I wouldn't see almost 85% of the people in the next four years anyways, so I might as well just do whatever the heck I could. I would like to say that I regret some of the things I've done, but I don't particularly regret anything. If anything, they all just add to the little experience I've had in life. It also makes for a fun list of crazy stories I can tell my friends. Muahahaha.


I probably should start with my suitemates. I have to say, I definitely love every single one of them. They're all ridiculously sweet, and amazingly friendly. I've had lunch with them as a group once, and every once in a while, we get together every now and then. I think I've bonded the most with this one girl Isabel. We call her the sheepherder since she's always making sure all of us stick together. She's definitely the biggest party girl in the group, but I think that we're both loud and insane, so it's definitely not hard for us to get close. There's also this one girl Veronica. I wish I could hate her, I really do... but I just can't. She's too sweet! And that's what makes it so much worse. Not only is she drop-dead gorgeous, but she also is tall, skinny, has amazing hair, and is one of the nicest people I've met. She can solve a rubik's cube in less than three minutes. Kill me now. Lol, I haven't been too close with the other suitemates, but I still do love them dearly. Abby and Hannah are just really nice people, and I think they bring out the better person in me. And I can't even begin to explain things about my entire floor. We've dubbed ourselves the Cornell family. We all take care of each other and always just barge into each other's dorms. I was a bit apprehensive about living in High Rise, but all of the people in it are just too fun. Clara Dickson can go suck on an egg for all I care.

So, what's been going on in college? Well, at Cornell it is currently O-Week at the moment, and I'm practically loving every second of it. I've gone to most of the required events here (even though they totally don't check to see if you come. Bleh) and have been out every single night. I figured I might as well enjoy the limited amount of time I have before classes start. And life has been good. I heard from my hosting program before that there weren't as many parties because the cops were on close watch during the first week of orientation. SO NOT TRUE. Not true at all. If anything, there's been a ridiculously excessive amount of parties around this time of the month (no period pun intended). Party hopping is a definite possibility whenever people go out, but of course, not all gatherings are equal. For the most part, the frats and Collegetown (a place right on the edge of campus) houses are the ones who throw the parties. I have never seen so much cheap beer in my life. I can't particularly drink beer, though, so I try to stay away from it. I usually just carry one around to make it seem as though I'm not completely sober. While that seems pretty weird/dumb on my part, I can't handle the taste of Keystone. It's just plain shit. Seriously. But it's college, and no one's shelling out the money for some nice Coronas. Luckily, I haven't had to pay any money for entrance into the parties. I can't imagine having to do that, but a couple of my friends from various colleges told me that they had to pay to get into some of them. I'm that I can safely say that I thoroughly enjoy free alcohol. I think it's because I have boobies =D

At the end of the day, I would say that my relationship with drinking is very... volatile. Clearly, it can be a lot of fun, but for me, I think I prefer not doing it. My body just can't consume copious amounts of alcohol, which leaves me with a ridiculously low tolerance and a not so jolly time. If I choose to drink, it means that I also choose to throw up everything that I've eaten in the past 24 hours. Yuck. I hate how I can't really just have even the slightest amount of alcohol without barfing on someone's shoes. So on the first and second day, I didn't really drink all too much. Although I do have to admit that the second day was more irresponsible on my part. I had approximately... five (ish) hits, which definitely killed me by the end of the night. I met a couple of interesting people at this particular frat. One of them kept on giving life advice and telling us what we should do with our time at Cornell while pumping the keg (lol). Not gonna lie, I was slightly attracted to him, and I don't really know why. He's not particularly good looking, but I guess I love those sardonic assholes.

On Friday, the first day of orientation, my suitemate texted me about a party in Collegetown and so while I was walking with a couple of people I just met recently, I decided to go with her and my other suitemate for my first real college life experience. It was... interesting, I suppose. I mean, I didn't think it was the most fun I could ever had, but it definitely wasn't a bad time. I got beer all over my cute new dress, which all of my suitemates loved apparently (I think I looked like I was going to church). I realized that everyone was really nice to the freshmen class and that no one really cared about age. There were a few sophomores that were just oh so sweet, and I got closer with a few more people from High Rise. That was the first of a few nights of mayhem to come.

On Sunday, I figured I might as well just drink all of my worries away since I hadn't exactly done so just yet. And it was gooooooood. Hahaha, I feel as though these blog posts are becoming some sort of confession booth for me at this point. But my friend texted me about some part at DKE and that it was "bar nite" (which I figured what that meant later) there. I went with most of my floormates, as we all randomly became best friends in a day. I walked in on this girl with a cello and asked her if she was auditioning for the orchestra. Our conversation led to a whole congregation of people on our floor and I got to meet just all of these great people. I really hope she does get in, as well as I pray that I'm in as well. Oh lawdy.

So, back to Sunday. I actually can't exactly recall what happened, but madness ensued for the most part. I think that was quite possibly the craziest night of my life. I don't know if I can go into full detail, but for the most part, I was apparently a very fun drunk. I remember a few shots, cocktails, and hard liquor. I also remember dancing, but it was very bad dancing. Isabel thinks my "skills" are cute, but they're really just laughable at best. I look like an oompa loompa bopping all over the place. I did meet someone there who seemed nice and cute, but then again, I don't think I was in the best judgement. My friends all noticed I was gone for a semi-long period of time and found me upstairs. Hahaha, apparently, they all had a newfound love for me and my skankiness. Oh college.

The walk of shame with my floormates has got to be one of the best memories I've had here so far. We were all yelling and screaming like typical drunk freshmen, but we did it together. Sam and I yelled obscenities at the cute couple in front of us as we laughed our heads off. Sam actually became my new best friend as he pulled my hair back when necessary and held my hand while we walked our tipsy selves back to our dorms. That night was just one of those typical college life experiences, and I'm glad I got to spend it with such amazing people.


And now, I'm looking towards the future. I would say that a couple of the things I'm looking forward to, in terms of academics and extracurriculars, would be my Econ class and orchestra. I've only met one person who's in the Microeconomics class so far, and even though she's quite possibly one of the cutest/sweetest girls I've met here at Cornell, I figured I would've met more people since Econ is the most popular major by far in the College of Arts and Sciences. djkaf;jd;fjdsalfjaf. I can't even describe the frustration I get when I ask people what colleges they're in. It's always engineering or cals for biology. It turns out that most of the A&S kids are in Clara Dickson, while I'm in High Rise 5. I definitely don't hate being in High Rise 5 though. It seriously has become a family of its own. Besides one or two stragglers, everyone on my floor is not only extremely friendly, but hilarious and accepting as well. While I do know that Clara Dickson is also known for its ridiculous openness, I do think the members of High Rise have proven to be a bunch of crazy bitches as well XP

But all this fun definitely comes at a price. I find myself waking up extremely exhausted, not prepared at all for my classes that start in three days, and freaked out about my audition which is in two days. While the audition thing isn't really my fault (the practice room is closed on weekends and I just got to Cornell on Friday... FUCK ME), I still freak out about it. I met some other girl who just really wants to be in the orchestra, but at this phase, it doesn't seem too likely. She didn't even know we had to fill out an audition form, while I haven't had any time to practice. Is it wrong to think that hopefully most of the other bass kids who audition suck really hard? And I missed one or two things because of the late time in which I've woken up. Granted, it's not all that big of a deal since none of these things are required, but I still do feel guilty. What am I going to do when I have to go to classes early? Gah. And then there's my face... Oh, what agony it brings me. I can't even begin to describe the hell that my acne has put me through. Most of my suitemates don't seem to suffer from this horrible disease, but of course my face has been breaking out like no other. I blame it on the a) new environment that my skin isn't accustomed to b) my lack of updating my skin care regimen and going to bed with my makeup on c) my period and d) my stress. This has created a medley of whiteheads, blackheads, and pimples galore. If only I was actually pretty so that acne didn't matter...

Overall, I definitely do love the things I've experience since I've gotten to Cornell, but I can't help but be bothered by a few things. I did make a lot of new friends when I came here, but I can't imagine any of these friendships being long term. They all like the drunk me or the stupid me, but I don't know if they'd ever want to go to Starbucks to just talk, and at the moment, I think that's what I want the most. I know it's a bit too soon to be looking for life-changing friends, but I just wish I had someone to really bond with, and having a single dorm doesn't really make it that much better. I find myself feeling alone even when I'm in the center of a group of people. I think I just need to lower my expectations in this aspect. I can't expect random kids to just tell me their life stories and want to be my best friends, but I always hear about how the friends one makes in college are the ones that will last lifetimes, and I got too excited about that. When I realized that things like that wouldn't happen instantaneously, it made me sad. I wonder if anyone else feels the same way, or if I'm just being really paranoid. Does it make sense that I'm slightly lonely, even in a college with 3000 incoming Freshmen?

No comments:

Post a Comment