Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Do I Like It?



Of course, every makeup aficionado starts out with the basics, and slowly work their way up. I started out with makeup wearing strictly eyeliner. I only applied eyeliner on my waterline and it was single-handedly one of the most painful experiences of my life from time to time. From there, as I became more accustomed to putting on eyeliner, I began using concealer, which led to powder foundation, which then led to various other products. Nowadays, I pretty much use almost every type of makeup product possible. Would I say I'm good at it though? Mmm, probably not.

Anyways, I think that the first thing to start off with, before applying anything else, is to have a clean base. Any eye makeup or blush will pop underneath relatively smooth and flawless looking skin. You want your skin to be the perfect background to everything else. I tried out countless foundations, in the quest for the appearance of amazing skin. In the end, I do think that the texture and condition of the skin underneath is the most important factor in the appearance of a foundation. Still, foundation does help for those who don't always have the nicest complexion (like me =D)

The product I wanted to review today is one of most well known products in the makeup world: the Make Up For Ever HD Foundation. Now, what is it? In a nutshell, the foundation is a product by Make Up For Ever that claims to create flawless-looking skin that will look impeccable even under the close scrutiny of HD camers. Do I believe this claim? Not quite. BUT, I will say this is quite possibly my favorite foundation to date. Be warned, however: it is not for those on a budget. This lovely product costs 40 bucks for an ounce of product... Yeap. I cried when I wanted to get Chipotle the next day and had no money for a burrito.

So, what do I like about the product? I used to think that I always needed a heavy coverage foundation because I hated the way my skin looked. After all, I should mask all of my imperfections, right? I find that my face looks a lot more natural when product isn't caked on it and that I wasn't in need of the heaviest coverage. So, the Make Up For Ever HD Foundation was a nice pick. It has medium coverage which is very buildable: you can put on several layers without looking too done up, but still have a lot of coverage. The color selection is fairly nice too: there should be a color for various shades of women. It lasts a decent amount of time on my face, and does photograph beautifully in pictures. You can escape the dreaded white-cast that occurs in flash photography when a foundation has SPF in it.

But of course, there are a few things I also don't particularly like. While you can build up the coverage of the product, I still find that flaws will end up showing through. I can see enlarged pimples still, and it doesn't cover all unevenness. It also gives a very matte appearance to the face, which can typically look very unnatural. Still, my nose and T-zone get fairly shiny about four hours in. It's also not the moisturizing type, and my occasionally dry skin can come out as flaky underneath.

Overall though, I would say that I really do like this foundation. I use it on occasions when I am going out or am taking a bunch of pictures. I do think that it is worth the money if you really like the product. However, I don't think it's the end all and be all of all foundations. Still, my focus has changed from finding the perfect foundation to improving my skin above all else. So, if anyone was ever curious as to what foundation I like to use, well, this is it! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment