Saturday, January 15, 2011

Something old, Something New

As a part of my New Year's resolution, I was hoping to spice up this blog a little. Well, not really. I was just hoping for a regular updating schedule. I plan on trying to update once every week, but of course, college obliterates any type of schedule I try to make. Still, we shall see how things turn out. But, I figured that I was going back on Monday, and that it would be a good idea to knock out one post before I go. I also wanted to mention something I might start doing on said blog....

Besides being an avid college student and professional fail-er at life, I would say that I have a guilty pleasure: beauty and makeup videos on youtube. Yes, it's weird. Yes, it's silly. And I love every second of it. I would by no means ever call myself a professional at applying makeup, nor do I think I even do my own makeup well. But surprisingly, makeup has become a hobby and an increasingly large part of my life. For me, cosmetics are not about... hiding myself with face powders and eyeliner. It's a form of expression, a way to reinvent yourself, in both small and grandiose ways. I figured I could do a few makeup product reviews or just tips and tricks I've learned from watching other makeup tutorials and such. It's just something I really do enjoy doing, and who knows? Someone might find it interesting as well.

Anyways, enough about the silly stuff. Now, on to what I can say about my break in Jersey thus far. Tomorrow is actually my last day in "Da Dirty Jerz", and it can't come at a better time. I don't hate New Jersey by any means. In fact, I think I've grown to love it. People may rag on how terrible this place is all the time, but I've lived here for eighteen years, and I gotta say... it's not half as bad as people say. Then again, I grew up in the 'burbs. How much different could it have been than anywhere else? Still, I would say that my time here has been nice. I love a lot of my friends from back home, and it was really great seeing them. People like them keep me grounded, and remind me that this town isn't strictly assholes. =D

With that said, I think that my life in college is far more fascinating than the one here. Even though I've only been back for a month, I feel like it's been years. I found myself missing Cornell even a week into my break. I think that the time for me to go back is the right time. Any longer, and I would have gone crazy. Any shorter, and I would have been miserable. In a way, I've outgrown my old life a lot. I don't find half the things I found amusing six months ago even remotely interesting. I also realized that I didn't have to settle for a lot things: settle for bullshit from bitches who don't know you, settle for friends who could care less about you, settle for feeling sorry for yourself and thinking you need to feel like this forever.

I can't wait to go back to a life of unpredictability, challenges, and interest. And so I end this post with enthusiasm and hope for my second semester of college. It's been a pretty crazy ride so far, and I... don't want to use a silly roller coaster metaphor to end this =)

No comments:

Post a Comment